home tutorials features parties custom orders

Saturday, February 25, 2012

My First Zippered Pouch

I woke up early this morning to help my husband pack for a business trip, and since it was Saturday, the kids were sleeping late.  Once we finished the packing, I had no reason not to tackle the zippered pouch and tissue holder that I already had cut out.

As you can imagine, the tissue holder was a breeze and took no more than 5 minutes to finish.


The zippered pouch took me a little longer.  Maybe an hour.  You see, I have never sewn a zipper into anything before.  The whole idea just scared me, that is, until I actually tried it.

I had used a Simplicity pattern I purchased recently for a $1 at Hobby Lobby, but it was not until I got home and read the instructions that I realized the pouch was not lined.  I couldn't believe it!  Why would someone need a pouch that wasn't lined?  Just seemed really weird to me, so I decided to make mine lined and figure out how to put it all together with a zipper as I went along.


It ended up being much easier than I thought it might be.  You see, the instructions for the unlined pouch called for hemming the top of the pouch and then just sewing the zipper to the inside.  So that is what I did.  I just sewed the outer pouch and lining together first, then hemmed it, then sewed the zipper in.

But the first time, I somehow didn't get the ends of the zipper lined up with the end seams of the pouch, so I had to pick it out and try again.  The second time, I was much more careful to notice where everything lined up, and it went in with no problems!  What a relief!


Now I have this adorable ensemble to use with my matching Pam's Purse! I've already organized my coupons and loaded them up in the pouch.  The inside of my purse is so neat and tidy!  Yeah!


And now I am no longer scared of zippers!  Mission accomplished!

6 comments:

  1. Zippers are only scary until you try them... LOL!!! The ends of your pouch, where the zipper joins the side seams, are perfect!!! The pouch is fabulous!!! Is your lining joined to the zipper itself, or to the main fabric below the zipper?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have only sewn a couple of zippers and I am still a little nervous of them but each time it does get better and easier. Your zipper looks perfect and very neat and now you have the perfect matching bags for Pam's Purse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice set..you did a wonderful job on both!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What doesn't kill us only makes us stronger! I'm glad you've overcome your fear of zippers. That newfound confidence is going to come in handy when you make my backpack. I miss you and look forward to getting home tomorrow. Signed - Your loving husband (aka, not Ryan Gosling)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The good news is you need never be scared of zippers again - they just get easier as you do more. Your pouch looks fantastic and I love the fabric you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow you did a great job for your first zipper!! My first one didn't look so neat. But they do get easier as you do more!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment! I love reading what you think about my post!