home tutorials features parties custom orders

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

A sewVery Simple Envelope Pillowcase Tutorial

Today I'm showing you how to make a sewVery Simple Envelope Pillowcase using half yard cuts of fabric. Two or three times a year around a big holiday (primarily Valentine's Day, Halloween, and Christmas), I sew my children a new holiday themed pillowcase that they use all season long. They get so excited about the pillowcases, plus they add a little holiday decoration to their rooms!



The other day, I received a half yard bundle of Blend Fabric's Treelicious Collection by Maude Asbury, and I couldn't wait to sew up this year's Christmas pillowcases! I love the bright, cheerful colors, and the large tree designs are very fun and playful making those fabric pieces ideal for the main part of the pillowcase. But there's a problem. The half yard pieces are a directional print and are only 18" to 18.5" long. Typically, I make my pillowcases at least 20" to 21" long. I fixed my problem by piecing the half yard piece together with some of the coordinating smaller prints to get the length and width of pillowcase that I need. I absolutely love the results!

If you have some half yard cuts of fabric, you can make some of these sewVery Simple Envelope Pillowcases, too. I'll show you how!

What you'll need:
Fabric A: 1/2 yard cut of fabric (approximately 18" L x 42" W)
Fabric B: 2 pieces cut 2.5" L x 18" W
Fabric C: 2 pieces cut 2.5" L x 46" W (or piece lots of fabric scraps together to make these cuts)
2 pieces cut 2.5" L x 12" W
Fabric D: 2 pieces cut 12" L x 18" W

Seam Allowance is 1/4" unless otherwise noted.

 









Now your pillow will stay secure inside the envelope pillowcase, and no one will see the unattractive pillow inside! Plus, when my kids have a pillow fight, the pillow won't slip out of the pillowcase!

This pink version is for my daughter, but I may just have to buy some more of this fabric to make myself one. I love the pink ovals with the trees!


Little Santa likes it, too!


And before I made the envelope pillowcase version, I made a regular pillowcase using a different colorway of the Treelicious Collection from Blend Fabrics. This one is for my son. My kids don't seem to mind that Christmas is 4 months away. They both slept on their new pillowcases last night!
Ahhh....makes me smile!


Have fun sewing!

4 comments:

  1. They are gorgeous, I must try and make some for the kids :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, gosh. How fun! My boys would love holiday pillow cases!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing how such little things like a pillowcase can make a kid so happy. My kids get excited to get new ones for each of the big holiday!

      Delete
  3. These are so cute! Your tutorial is awesome...thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment! I love reading what you think about my post!